Sunday, August 15, 2010

Living Dead Dolls: Jubilee

There's more BJD hotness coming down the pike, but I wanted to share one of my other favorite line of dolls: Living Dead Dolls. I love horror movies, I love dolls, & this line brings those two favorites together like no other. Sure, there are other doll series that appeal to the "goth" crowd, but I particularly love the way these kids (because they are kids!) bring the realness with the perfect blend of cute & creepy. For example, here we have Jubilee.


Wrapped up inside this present,
A gift for you awaits.
By opening it you have condemned yourself,
And sealed your own fate.
So hopefully your birthday goes off without a hitch,
And Jubilee is not around.
For if you invite this ghoul to your celebration,
Evil will surely abound.


I love how this picture--with the sinister eyebrows out-of-frame--illustrates the almost-cute factor of this doll. If her coloring were more rosy instead of greenish, & if she didn't have the green saliva dripping from the corner of her mouth, she'd be really cute.

I think that part of what I like about her, though, is that she's clearly a little girl who's dressed to go to a party--probably a birthday party. She reminds me of a brief bit of a British movie I saw once on PBS when I was a wee tyke in Texas. I didn't catch the full plot, but I gathered that there was a birthday party, & that there was a special cookie intended for the Birthday Child, but a guest of the party (another child) snuck into the kitchen & ate the cookie instead. That child got really sick--maybe she died, & dunno, I didn't get to watch enough find out what happened to her. I tend to think that Jubilee is that child, though, with her (poisoned?) green sputum dribbling onto the crisp white collar of her party dress.


Details like her green nail paint & the blushing (shading) at her wrists, elbows, & on her knees just make her a great doll. It's those little details that make the look comprehensive & allow the imagination to believe that a grisly fate really did befall this kid.


She's not "just another" cute doll, but she's definitely a damned cute & creepy doll...& now she wants to play with youuuuuuu!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment